Addison joined a scrapbooking club at school. I made her this tote today to keep her supplies contained: The only purchase was two fat quarters (floral fabric) and some double wide brown pre-fab binding. I was planning a pocket on the outside, but I ran out of time.
Process: I sewed the two fat quarters together with a 6" strip of brown between them. Used scrap batting and more brown for the inside. Laid it flat and stippled with white thread on the floral and brown on the bottom. Cut off 3" from each end (of what would be the top of the bag) for use in the handles. Used narrow pre-fab binding (from my stash) to finish the handles. Folded in half and serged the inside seam for a more finished look. Boxed the corners by an inch. Used the wide binding to finish the opening. Sewed handles on. Took a bit longer than usual, as I made sure it was more square than normal.